Wednesday, September 23, 2009

An Indian's Musings on UAE

It’s strange but true that even in an age when we can easily stalk someone, thanks to Google maps, there are instances, which baffle our mind completely. On my two-year study escapade to India, I remember being in the forefront of situations, which made me juggle around with my views about the Internet and it’s being the information super-highway.


My first day of class in India was full of unwanted surprises and at that very moment, I wondered, whether I am the only foreigner in the world who faces such kind of culture shocks and lack of information among her peers. When they did realize I was from Dubai, not UAE (People somehow recognize that more easily), the flurry of questions that came through my way were appalling. So, it reined upon me as a citizen of this desert, to clarify myths that people coupled with this country back home.



Myth 1

- If you stay in UAE, you are robotically named a SHEIKH.

I have been living here for the past 16 years and trust me; I haven’t got the S of this word till now. Sheikh is a honorific term in Arabic that means "elder". It is commonly used to designate an elder of a tribe, a revered wise man, or an Islamic scholar. Although the title generally refers to a male person, there existed in history also a very small number of female sheikhs.

Log on here for more info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheikh



Myth 2

- If you stay in Dubai, you are thought of a filthy rich person.


Well NO! We Indians , somehow always this inferiority complex in ourself that anybody who stays abroad has lots of moolah to spare. What we don’t realise is the fact that India alone itself has so much money. But nahhh, the tag abroad leads to being rich. PERIOD.

Well, people like my father, who slog their asses off, can be put in that category but , not me, souls like us live on meagre income and happily lead a life on inherited wealth..


Myth 3

- UAE has Indian Schools and that too, CBSE!!!

According to reports, over 40% of UAE’s population is made up of Indians . So, some educated Indian must have felt the need to start CBSE schools here and yes, I am one of the pass-outs . You are bound to find indians(especially keralites) in every corner of UAE, so we do need to some place to study right??? Hence, Indian schools , thanks to Ashok Ganguly…


Myth 4

- How come you know Hindi so well???

Now that was the most bizarre question, I ever answered. I am Indian by birth, my parents are Indians by birth, so I am bound to speak the NATIONAL language of India. I mean, you’d be surprised to hear that the language is so common here that even arab nationals turn up to see Hindi movies and even understand it pretty well( although you do have arabic subtitles below) . Hindi was my second language in school…so JAI HINDI!!


Myth 5

- Women in UAE are so ill-treated , abused and still follow the purdah system

Does it look like I wear the burqah and roam around the city??That apparently is still followed in the holy Saudia Arabia. Infact , UAE is one of the most metropolitan countries in the Middle East which equally respects rights of both men and women. Yes, there are stringent rules for muslim women in some households but then, if the wife of Dubai’s Ruler can wear formal shirt and trousers, so can we. However, its not as free-spirited as the west where you can make out on the beaches and not get caught…. Lolz


Myth 6

- Dubai – The House of the D company

Alas, the Hindi films get full credit for this. They have seem to stamp this place as the house of goons and underworld mafia. Yes, I agree ,the presence is there , but not so wild as potrayed in the cinema houses and so called realistic films!! Probably, that’s where so much money comes from…ummmm(Pondering). I rather not write anything more...because I fear my life!!



Guys, UAE has achieved so much in so less of a time and yes, created the world’s tallest building but that is no excuse for being so uninformed about it. Go out and Google it… and see for yourself -Mutthaida Al Arab Emarat….

7 comments:

  1. Hi,there-coming here via 20SB..was reading ur post on Amity and then saw the UAE blog link.:)Great summary of myths you've compiled.It's so true..people just assume that someone who works in Dubai has an easy life,earns lots of taxfree moolah(and,unwritten rule-is ready to be fleeced/fooled when he/she visits India)...don't you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second you amit... and u knw wht they dnt knw tht we r Indians too ... lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Real myth dispelling write up Honey.Good one indeed.Its all about us Indians trying to compartmentalise people.False notions,assumptions,hearsay..dunno when we'll grow up..

    ReplyDelete
  4. thnks anu da... :) appreaciate ur comments

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really did a wonerful job by bringing up the underlying yet significant facts regarding the frame of mind set by the people for fellow citizens residing in the gulf countries. Its a great myth buster and a shrewd blow on the false assumptions generated by meaningless people. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete