Friday, September 4, 2009

The Weather Phenomenon...


I have just returned from my much-needed holiday in Europe's most scintillating countries ever - Switzerland, Paris and Germany and the very first thing that hit me, when I landed in this Rose of the Desert was its WEATHER!! Oh Lord, the signs had started again- Fog clouding all over my glasses, humidity clinging to my skin like a body fit t-shirt and my breath suddenly had this weird smell to it, as if I hadn’t taken a bath for time unlimited… and yes, that is when it dawned on me that I was back, back in DUBAIIIII. The land of gold and yes, the place where the weather is never cold AAARRGHHH!


Every other day I hear the climate report on radio and somehow it always thwarts me. The word HUMIDITY is so deeply immersed in the UAE weather that it never leaves it. Even the winter gods never descend fully on this God Forsaken Place. They just make –do with some days of chilly winds and there they go holidaying in the Alps once again…

Look at the configuration of the monsoons here. Almost the whole earth system receives the monsoon showers between May- July (pardoning London which is forever soaked and some parts of Europe) but, UAE, receives its rains during November- December, which, in turn makes the weather so chilly, and Sharjah, being UAE’S Delhi gets so sapped in the whole process. Although, I have to admit that these rains do make the weather and UAE look, oooohh! So damn mushy and romantic, making it the perfect setting for hopeless cupid cohorts like us!!

The Air-Conditioners. My favorite piece of inventions these days, really. If they weren’t available in this part of the world, trust me, my soul would have been served to the eagles by now out of heat strokes!!

As I strut down the streets sometimes during the daytime when the heat is at its worst and I peep through my car windows at these construction workers, toiling their hearts out for completing, what people like us would utilize for our comforts, I literally feel like a vamp. Here are people who sacrifice their so called simple pleasures for us and work in a horrible weather like this and we, working in our AC offices still complain!! But anyways, the weather still needs IMPROVEMENTTTTTT…

On an ending note, I think, I have whined enough to let the UAE MET office take notice. Yes, I realize that they plant trees, start green revolutions here, but Mr. Sheikh Mohammed, what we need to do is build less buildings everywhere and ACTUALLY plant. We have a flower center here, we have nurseries here, but hey, is that affecting?????

I just hope this grilling torture turns into a relaxing warm weather soon… :)

5 comments:

  1. Very well written indeed.. Its such a shame that on one hand some are just not getting over with their desires of earning more and more 'money' and 'status' while others are getting no better and are 'suffering' instead!!

    Also, I think you should have mentioned about the electricity shortage these days in Sharjah.. specially during this month of peace and mercy.. Our Rulers are nicely enjoying their holiday in London! :')
    WELCOME TO SHARJAH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets forget the morality in the article,but i am simply dazed by your writing skills..Cant believe its the same girl who scribbled all tat crap two years before..Holy cow...still remember that phrase "Her abs tightened" or some thing in a short story..Great goin gurl..U doin some nice work..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thnks maaya.... but jus curious to know where did i mention tht phrase...was it in rediffiland u mean??? and u knw na.. thngs improve with time... so im tryin to... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yea..on rediffilan..dnt see anything new out here though..catch up on facebook..maaya raj

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhhhhhhh.... so ur maaya... i was wonderin whose addin me on FB...ill add u right away...

    ReplyDelete